Protecting the Environment
- Increasing the Environment and Natural Resources R&D budget by 4% in
1996 to $5.5 billion.
- Replacing single agency/discipline/issue approach to solving
environmental problems with an integrated, interdisciplinary,
multi-agency research program.
- Increasing investment in Environmental Technology to improve
remediation efforts today and decrease future cleanup costs by
emphasizing pollution avoidance.
- Improving environmental decision-making through the development and
use of tools for integrated assessment to reduce uncertainty and manage
- Increasing emphasis in the Global Change Program on understanding
the consequences of climate change (global warming and El Nino) and
identifying mitigation and adaptation strategies.
- Increasing emphasis on ecological research to promote the efficient
use of natural resources while sustaining ecosystems for future
President and First Lady | Vice President and Mrs. Gore
Record of Progress | The Briefing Room
Gateway to Government | Contacting the White House
White House for Kids | White House History
White House Tours | Help | Text Only