Remarks by the President
This tobacco legislation would build on the extraordinary efforts -- led by Vice President Gore, Secretary of Health and Human Services Donna Shalala, and Domestic Policy Advisor Bruce Reed -- that the Administration has made to work with the public health community, the attorneys general, members of Congress, tobacco farmers, and others to develop a comprehensive tobacco policy.
The President stated that five key elements must be at the heart of any national tobacco legislation:
1) a comprehensive plan to reduce teen smoking, including tough penalties if targets are not met;
2) full authority for FDA to regulate tobacco products;
3) changes in the way the tobacco industry does business;
4) progress toward other public health goals;
5) protection for tobacco farmers and their communities.
A Record of Achievment
Press Briefing by Secretary of Health and
Human Services Donna Shalala
President and First Lady | Vice President and Mrs. Gore
Record of Progress | The Briefing Room
Gateway to Government | Contacting the White House | White House for Kids
White House History | White House Tours | Help
T H E W H I T E H O U S E