The Original Classical-Revival Furniture Drawings for the Blue Room
Latrobe, named Surveyor of the Public Buildings by Jefferson in 1803, not only made changes to the exterior of the White House but also designed furniture for it. He began his collaboration in 1809 with the new lady of the mansion, Dolley Madison, to decorate the "Oval Drawing Room", today's Blue Room in classical-revival style.
He based the 36 painted and gilded cane-seat chairs on the klismos - a chair of Greek design, the plans for which are in the upper left corner. He adapted the triclinium- a couch used by Romans for reclining at meals- for two sofas and four window seats, the plans for which are in the lower right
Return to the Blue Room
President and First Lady | Vice President and Mrs. Gore