The capital of Guam is situated at the mouth of the Agana River
and 5 miles north of the Apra Harbor, Agana's port of entry and the island's
chief port. Developed by Spain in the 16th Century, Agana serves as the
administrative center of Spain's Pacific island holdings. When Guam was ceded
to the United States at the end of the Spanish-American War, a naval base was
established in Apra Harbor. Japan briefly held Agana during World War II before
its recapture by the United States in 1944.
Agana has several historical sites of note, including the Dulce
Nombre de Maria, or Agana Cathedral, built by the Spanish in 1699 and the Latte
Stone Park, whose pillars date from over two thousand years ago and are
believed to be house pillars used by the ancient Chamorro people in the
construction of homes.